Tom's Wednesday Leadership Thought- Where is our leadership pointing? Feb. 5, 2020





Feb. 5, 2020

The definition of leadership “a process of influence.  Anytime you seek to influence the thinking, behavior, or development of people toward accomplishing a goal in their personal or professional lives, you are taking the role of a leader. – Ken Blanchard pg.5


John 3:30-  He (Jesus) must increase, I must decrease.

As I reflect upon this definition of leadership, there is a tendency to try to point people to myself.  To try to make my name great, to make it all about me.   As I reflect upon John the Baptist who said this in the book of John, John was not looking to make his name bigger but the name and person of Jesus Christ.

There are many examples today of top CEO’s and “leadership gurus” who have all the great leadership advice.  Some of it offers great insight and can help you with processes, steps, communication, and personal interaction.  However, when we work in the church ministry, our goal should be to make much of Jesus Christ.  When we make it about us, we are building our kingdom and not the Kingdom of Christ.  We need to check our egos at the door.

Ken Blanchard writes it this way: “Whenever we become the leader and try to make God the servant, things don’t work out.  Why?  Because of EGO gets in the way, and we Edge God out!  If you want your life to be significant, then you have to recognize that it’s all about God, not about you.”  - Lead Like Jesus- Ken Blanchard pg. 47. 



So as we reflect upon our leadership in the church, a few questions to ask ourselves:
#1-  Is my leadership pointing people to Christ?
#2- Am I trying to make my name great or make Jesus’ name great?
#3- How would my leadership be different if I lived with His Kingdom mindset and not an earthly mindset?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Samuel 18:2- serving with the troops

Wednesday's Leadership thought- people follow leaders who are respectable