Wed. March 18th Wednesday's Leadership Thought- Where is the hope?




Mar. 18, 2020

The definition of leadership “a process of influence.  Anytime you seek to influence the thinking, behavior, or development of people toward accomplishing a goal in their personal or professional lives, you are taking the role of a leader. – Ken Blanchard pg.5

Psalm 33:13-22-
13 
The Lord looks down from heaven; he observes everyone. 14 He gazes on all the inhabitants of the earth from his dwelling place. 15 He forms the hearts of them all; he considers all their works. 16 A king is not saved by a large army; a warrior will not be rescued by great strength. 17 The horse is a false hope for safety; it provides no escape by its great power. 18 But look, the Lord keeps his eye on those who fear him— those who depend on his faithful love 19 to rescue them from death and to keep them alive in famine. 20 We wait for the Lord; he is our help and shield. 21 For our hearts rejoice in him because we trust in his holy name. 22 May your faithful love rest on us, Lord, for we put our hope in you.

Wow!  What a difference 10 days can make.  We went from being a nation and people who were mobile and had everything we needed to life being on “hold.”  In some stores, there is hoarding occurring, in some states, there are lock-downs.  Small businesses are closing and people are encouraged to stay home.  I watched the news- because there are no sports!  Imagine, America and the world has hit the “pause” button.  10 days ago we were preparing for the NCAA tournament, graduations, and baseball.  Now we were planning on gathering some of the essentials!

As I was reading through the Psalms, I came across this Psalm and God’s Word grounded me… brought me back to reality.  This whole epidemic caught us by surprise but yet God knew and God is still on the throne.  He is looking down from Heaven and He sees everyone.  As I watch the news, the latest help and hope comes from a vaccine that is about a year away.  We so often put our hope in man or in vaccines.  Please, realize I am about medication and doctors, but sometimes I put too much trust in them, just like the kings put trust in their armies.

What brought me comfort is that God- my Heavenly Father watches over me.  He sees little me in Hartland, Maine- among the billions of people… God sees me.  He is watching over me because I respect and honor (Bible translations say fear).  I am relying upon His unfailing love. 
The Psalm ends with the challenge… we put our hope in God.  He is our help and our shield.  Sometimes, God directly steps in and rescues us.  Sometimes God uses vaccines or doctors to help.  Whichever way, God delivers us because we put our hope in Him.
As we have a few weeks of no sports, no large groups, little shopping- it is a time for us to reflect upon our leadership and ask these 3 questions.



Questions for my leadership:
1.      Where is my hope coming from… my “armies” the vaccines or the Lord?
2.      When I lead- am I helping others see God working in me or am I making it about me?
3.      In a time of crisis- what is my response:  fear or faith?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday's Leadership thought- people follow leaders who are respectable

2 Samuel 18:2- serving with the troops

Wed. May 13, 2020- Retreating to Advance