Leadership Thought for Wed. 4/15- Clear Communication





April 15, 2020

The definition of leadership “a process of influence.  Anytime you seek to influence the thinking, behavior, or development of people toward accomplishing a goal in their personal or professional lives, you are taking the role of a leader. – Ken Blanchard pg.5

Matthew 4:19-  “Follow me,” he told them, “and I will make you fish for people

“If there is not clear communication of what a good job will look like when it is accomplished, somebody will end up frustrated-either the leader or the follower or both.” Blanchard 123

I wish I could lead like Jesus.  To know the beginning from the end.  To never make mistakes, to never have a second guess about the direction.  To always be able to lead with confidence and not have questions myself.  I wish I could teach like Jesus and be able to truly minister to others like Jesus did.  I cannot but I can do the next best thing… learn from Jesus’ example and try again to do my best.
When Jesus called the disciples.  He called them to a specific task.  I want you to do this.  Jesus was able to use wording they would understand.  He was able to use a play on words to capture their interest and imagination.  Jesus called them to something bigger than themselves. He called them to something that would make an eternal difference.
As I reflect on my “recruiting” techniques, there have been many.  I have tried to be creative.  I have tried to be inspiring.  I have tried to cast that big vision and dream.  I have also tried begging, manipulation, and tears.  Sometimes I have been successful, sometimes I have not. 
First, I have learned is that I need to be specific.  What do I want the person to accomplish?  What tools or training am I offering to help them accomplish the specific task?  Is it in their wheelhouse of gifts and talents? 
Secondly, am I equipping them for the task at hand?  Jesus knew these men and knew what they could and couldn’t do.  He was able to have them walk alongside of Him.  They learned from His teachings and from His interactions with people (miracles). 
Thirdly, am I giving people feedback when the task is over and while it is occurring?  So many times, I have recruited people and then left them alone- without feedback or anything.  Sometimes people feel if they volunteer for a week they volunteer for a lifetime of service.  We as leaders need to give feedback.  Encourage them, thank them, give instruction if it is their first time.  Help them learn so they can become better.  An encouraging and thankful word goes a long way for feedback.  As we seek volunteers- we get them by asking- we keep them by thanking them!


Questions for my leadership:
1.      When I recruit, am I recruiting with a specific task in mind?
2.      Am I communicating clearly to the people under my leadership?
3.      Who can I thank this week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Samuel 18:2- serving with the troops

Wednesday's Leadership thought- people follow leaders who are respectable