Wed. April 1st Leadership thought- what do people who follow me look like?




April 1, 2020

The definition of leadership “a process of influence.  Anytime you seek to influence the thinking, behavior, or development of people toward accomplishing a goal in their personal or professional lives, you are taking the role of a leader. – Ken Blanchard pg.5

John 15:13- 13 No one has greater love than this: to lay down his life for his friends. 

“If the leaders live their values, then others are ready to follow suit.” Blanchard 93

The sheep follow the shepherd.  The soldiers follow the general.  The people follow the leader.  When we look at the people of our church.  Are we excited at what we see them doing?  Are we encouraged by how they interact?  Are we happy with their growth towards Christ?  These are great questions that I ask myself.  The humbling question to ask is to ask the questions of myself.  So many times in leadership, we want to blame the people that are following- they are not following well, listening well, they won’t allow me to lead.  So often we (or I) blame the sheep when I the shepherd need to be looking at my own example and what I am showing them. 

When Christ came, He was the perfect leader.  We will never be perfect leaders because we are not God.  We are not of divine nature.  However, we can learn from our mistakes, grow through the pains of the mistakes, and then make sure not to do them again.  When Jesus came, he had a game plan… a mission.  To seek and to save that which was lost (Luke 19:10).  What is our game plan as leaders? 
The above verse, is a guide, a map, to make sure Jesus did not stray.  Jesus talked about love to His disciples.  Jesus them demonstrated that concept by dying on the cross.

We as leaders- our people are watching us.  It is easy to blame them for not doing what we want.  However, a humbling question is, have I set the example for them to follow.  If you want a thankful people- are you thankful?  If you want a evangelistic group- are you evangelistic?  If you desire a helping group- are you showing people how to help? 

Jesus wanted a group of disciples that would love and He demonstrated that love.  It was a value- a very important value and He demonstrated it.



Questions for my leadership:
1.      What do I want the people following me to look like or accomplish?
2.      How have I been setting a good example?  What are some examples I have been setting that I should stop?
3.      What are the top 3 values in my leadership influence I want my people to see me demonstrate?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Samuel 18:2- serving with the troops

Wednesday's Leadership thought- people follow leaders who are respectable